Sunday 5 April 2009

Pots and Pans

The only connection between these three artists is that they helped me get through the washing up this morning. When I used to wash up with my brother, when we both lived at home, The Rolling Stone's 'Can't You Hear Me Knocking' was a regular rinse companion, as was The Stone Roses I am The Resurrection, both long enough to get you through a pan or two. Evening washing up requires something jaunty (followed by the pub if at all possible), whereas morning washing up requires something a little more mellow on the ears, particularly if it's a last night's dishes+headache combo.

Karen Dalton, who the Guardian called 'The Best Singer You've Never Heard Of', didn't like recording, didn't like playing live, and didn't write her own songs. Somehow, after you listen to her version of Tampa Red's 'It Hurts Me Too', it's easy to imagine a hard and tortured life. She died penniless, homeless on the streets of New York in 1993



My co blogging associate Peter D pointed me in the direction of Angus & Julia Stone, who are an aid to getting grease off pots, when I'm in charge of the brush anyway. They are the Australian brother and sister antidote to the White Stripes.
.


A.R. Rahman won two oscars for his music in Slumdog Millionaire. The first I ever heard of him was the early 90's when his 'Bombay Theme Tune' appeared on a Cafe del Mar compilation. This is a live version of that song. Would you believe he has sold over 100 million records, and 200 million cassettes? It's not the most pick-me-up of songs for first thing in the morning, but it completes my dish scrubbing top 3 for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment