Tuesday 18 August 2009

Fold Your Hands Child, You Walk Like a Peasant

Today should have been Abbey Road, but it appears that all of my kosher copies of Beatles albums, barring the White Album are unplayable in my car, Let It Be I got to play as I keep a copy in the car. It’s a pain, it probably would have got 8.
That’s neither here nor there though and you will never know my thoughts on Maxwell’s Silver Hammer.
Next along was the 2000 album by Belle and Sebastian, Fold Your Hands Child, You Walk Like a Peasant.
Today was the first time I listened to this album as a whole, I can’t recall buying it either, most of the tracks were new to me it has to be said. I am unsure why I hadn’t listened to it, but its possible that I won’t listen to the CD again.
The best thing that I can say about this album, a disappointing album, is that it is very derivative, derivative of Belle and Sebastian, it sounds like Belle and Sebastian, it sounds like every other Belle and Sebastian album and a lot of the songs sound like watered down versions of other Belle and Sebastian songs.
Its quite a downbeat album and if I didn’t know better I would say as a band they were in turmoil as no one appears to be trying, the strings on one of the tracks are a direct lift of the strings on another Belle and Sebastian album, and this is the pattern for many of the tracks on the album.
There is a particular string sound, there is a particular way of singing, the whole sound of Belle and Sebastian is the sound of a band treading water and cheating their fans, it’s the sound of a band running out of steam. A very poor and a very generous 5 out of 10.



The Wrong Girl by Belle and Sebastian

No comments:

Post a Comment