Monday 4 January 2010

Recurring Dream, The Best Of Crowded House - Review

Happy New Year. Some jokers on the M6 caused an accident this morning, resulting in gridlock on the minor roads that lead to Birmingham. That’s where you would have found me for 2 hours this morning, listening to Recurring Dream, The Best Of Crowded House. Re-read that last sentence, now re-read it without doing Alan Partridges voice.
When this album was released in around 1996 the resultant TV campaign went along the lines of “you know more Crowded House songs than you think you do”, a valid point, they may have also said, “you fell for the tut that The Beautiful South put out, why not this”
I must confess I didn’t buy this, my dwarfish sidekick, Little Ern, she had a number of Crowded House albums, on tape, but that’s it, unless I am proved wrong over the next few weeks, this compilation is one that was copied for us and you know it aint half bad. I know more Crowded House songs than I thought I did.
It takes you through the singles up to 1996 and on the whole they are very good, some of them suffer from over play, in particular Weather With You, it always seems to be the soundtrack of choice when local news does a weather based montage.
The down points of this album, and I cant explain why it sounds like this to my ears. Years ago when I worked at Butlins during Easter the site would be took over for a religious festival called Spring Harvest, born agains a-worshipping and enjoying the holy spirit. Now the night time at these things were fuelled by Christian rock bands, and the audience used to sway, hands aloft, head cocked to one side awaiting the rapture. When I listen to some Crowded House, they remind me of those Christian rock bands.
I don’t think I need to tell you too much about this album, its Crowded House, its fairly pleasant, on the whole good, during a few songs its actually great, and on Fall At Your Feet they hit perfection, 6 out of 10.



Fall At Your Feet by Crowded House

No comments:

Post a Comment