Sunday 2 November 2008

Don't Call Me Beaner

I killed this album. It got such heavy rotation that I know most of the words in Spanish but I have no idea what they mean (although I do now know the Mexican word for fuck, as most of the group are Mexican).
Molotov are one of those bands that continually confound people, piss them off, get in their face, wind them up, refuse to conform and get away with murder. Their biggest hit, Frijolero, is totally different from anything else on the album Dance and Dense Denso (2003), so I'm sure thousands got home expecting something jaunty and got shouty agit pop instead. I rushed out and bought the follow up, and the opening track is a cover of Rock Me Amadeus.
The Spanglish lyrics go from naughty to obscene to hilarious within 3 lines. More bands should be like Molotov, with seemingly total disregard for anything but the sound they want to create.
Here's a double header.

Frijolero by Molotov



Here We Kum by Molotov

No comments:

Post a Comment