Wednesday 11 November 2009

Led Zeppelin II

Led Zeppelin again today, the penultimate Zepellin of this little stack of CD’s I think. Led Zeppelin II to be more precise, their second album. Tomorrow it’s the debut, but for today it’s the sophomore effort.
This is a great album for all intents and purposes, its almost a great album, its one song off a great album. Yes I could be spending blog inches telling you perhaps what you already know about the atlantic soul beauty of The Lemon Song, or Whole Lotta Love was THE greatest theme tune outside of Ronnie Hazlehursts work, or Heartbreaker being one of the most fantastic rock songs ever written. I could tell you all this, and those alone could be the reason why this album is noted as one of the greatest rock albums ever written.
This is all negated by Ramble On. Ramble On destroys everything else on this album due to one verse.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear
How years ago in days of old when magic filled the air
'twas in the darkest depths of Mordor, mm-I met a girl so fair
but Gollum and the evil warg crept up and slipped away with her
her, her, yeah, and ain't nothin' I can do, no


Christ. Minus this song 9 out of 10, with this song 1 out of 10.



Ramble On by Led Zeppelin

No comments:

Post a Comment