Tuesday 17 November 2009

Is This It? NME's Best Albums of the Noughties.

The NME like lists, as do Kev and I. I dislike the NME though so I got this list from The Guardian. This latest in an ever ongoing list of lists tells us of the 50 best albums of the noughties. 2000-2009.
First of all this is the NME, that’s an apology by the way, but basically its going to be NME favoured bands, and why not, if I wanted Def Leppard to be in there I would buy Classic Rock. You get the gist.

OK, number one, surprisingly was the debut by The Strokes, Is This It. The one with the lady’s bum on it. I like that album sleeve. Its nice. Its not a bad album as well. We had been playing the demo’s of it for a long time prior to its release, and then when it was released, it was pretty good but there was the element of, is this it? If this is the best album of the noughties, is the response, is this it? No it isn’t it, its good, but its not quite right.



Hard To Explain by The Strokes from Is This It

10 years of albums condensed into a list of 50 and the best of that list is The Strokes debut? At this point I refer myself back to my opening comments. Of that list though what should take its place? I do rate a large selection of the top 10 quite highly, oddly enough. I think a large selection are better than The Strokes, Libertines debut being a perfect example (however did The Strokes begat The Libertines???), Arctic Monkeys debut, Yeah Yeah Yeah’s, Fever To Tell and The Street’s debut and undoubtedly Arcade Fire’s genius Funeral. Obviously just in the ten there is some head scratching pile of shite Primal Scream’s xtrmntr, (Ld f bllcks more like) being the one that leaps out.



Wake Up By Arcade Fire from Funeral

The album that I rate the best of the noughties though isn’t on that list, the one that I rate as the second best of the noughties is on that list but is way down at number 31. The best is of course the eponymous debut by Tenacious D. Its time for a review will come, at the rate my commute CD’s are taking me, some time at the back end of 2019. The second best, and the NME’s 31st best of the noughties is Bright Eyes I’m Wide Awake, It’s Morning, an album, according to the NME, worse than Klaxons’ Myths of the Near Future, really?



At The Bottom of Everything by Bright Eyes from I’m Wide Awake, It’s Morning

Taste is a personal thing though, hence no mention of Tenacious D, and after all this list was put together by bands, label owners and producers, so would not expect to see The D propping it up. What we do learn about popstars taste though, they like mainstream indie. The care little for pop, be it crafted and shiney, not much for folk, for jazz, for easy listening, for dance, hip hop or RnB, world music has passed them by and gabba techno no longer floats their boat. For innovation, for forward thinking music, for being groundbreaking, for the future? In the main, Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you white boys with guitars.

1. The Strokes - Is This It
2. The Libertines - Up the Bracket
3. Primal Scream - xtrmntr
4. Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
5. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Fever to Tell
6. PJ Harvey - Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea
7. Arcade Fire - Funeral
8. Interpol - Turn On the Bright Lights
9. The Streets - Original Pirate Material
10. Radiohead - In Rainbows

Full list

No comments:

Post a Comment