Wednesday 11 November 2009

1981 - A Year in Music

If you look at the Wikipedia page for 1981, under the heading of 'Events' it lists notable points in history for that year; Ronald Reegan became president of the USA, Rupert Murdoch bought The Times, Muhammad Ali entered the ring for the final time, and so on. But right there in April, somewhere between Bobby Sands winning a by-election and Mitterrand becoming president of France, is this

The rock band Yes splits up (regrouping in 1983).

Now, I'm all for music finding its rightful place in the priorities of life list, but surely, surely, this doesn't merit the words devoted to it. As if this wasn't bad enough, the bastards re-formed two years later, and it's that little bracket at the end which is like salt in the wound.

My top picks for the music of the year is a mixture of those that obviously registered with me at the time (The Specials, Stray Cats, Altered Images) due probably to Top of the Pops performances, and also songs and artists that I found I liked many years later (Randy Crawford, Mission of Burma, Colin Hay from Men at Work). I remember finding Under Your Thumb quite unnerving. Then again, most things were unnerving as I was 12.

On with the list then.

Altered Images - I Could be Happy
Bauhaus - The Passion of Lovers
Godley and Creme - Under Your Thumb

Hazel O'Connor - Will You
Human League - Love Action
Men at Work - Overkill
Mission of Burma - That's When I Reach for My Revolver

The Ramones - The KKK Took my Baby Away
Randy Crawford - You Might Need Somebody
Siouxsie and The Banshees - Spellbound
Soft Cell - Bedsitter
Teardrop Explodes - Reward
The Specials - Ghost Town
The Stray Cats - Runaway Boys

No comments:

Post a Comment