Wednesday 29 July 2009

Whatever and Ever Amen

Ben Folds is filed under F, obviously, Ben Folds Five grace the B’s. Its been 3 months of B’s so far by the way and I don’t want to upset you but we are I think only half way through. Soz.
Ben Folds Five’s Whatever and Ever Amen, the second album by the band released in 1997.
I have already spoken about Ben Folds and how I learned about him and indeed what my favourite Folds songs are, I could repeat myself and blame my age, I could tell you about the first time I had a banana?
So any how, the album is quite different song to song, you have these rather mournful ballads then you have these upbeat stompers, on one hand you have a bullied kid plotting his revenge on One Angry Dwarf… and the other we have his retelling of an abortion. The abortion is highlighted in the song Brick, but its more than abortion, Darren Jessee's chorus seems to hint at a dissolution of a relationship. Maybe? I don’t know.
The rest of the album veers between pretty solid to pretty fantastic and was a pleasant surprise this morning as I thought it was going to be more bloody Bragg. Half of it is my favourite Ben Folds Five album, hald of their debut is my favourite BFF album, does that mean it merits 5 out of 10? Don’t talk rot. 8 out of 10.



The Battle of Who Could Care Less by Ben Folds Five

No comments:

Post a Comment