Tuesday 21 July 2009

If You're Feeling Sinister

Back to the in car CD’s this week and kicking things off is the Belle and Sebastian album, If You’re Feeling Sinister. Released n Jeepster records in 1996, it was the second album by the band, the follow up to TigerMilk but the first material I had heard by them.
In years to come people will recall vividly where they were and what they were doing when they heard Michael Jackson had died, and perhaps the only time the word similarly has been used with regards Michael Jackson and Belle and Sebastian, similarly I recall vividly where I was when I first heard Belle and Sebastian, and also the second time I had heard Belle and Sebastian. The first time was round at good friend Jons house, he had heard a track on late night radio I think and decided to buy the album, and subsequently make me listen, I sat there in awed silence, music at that point in 96 couldn’t really get any better than that. I duly bought my own copy and made sure that my wife heard it, she didn’t like it on first listen.
I think this album, as indie albums go is one of the most important and groundbreaking there is. It spawned copyists, some of whom still exist today and across its ten tracks it created a blueprint for good indie.
The line up on this album is the best line up and after a few listens today I realise it is as fresh and as excellent as the day that I first heard it.
This is easily a 10 out of 10, and personally I think it’s an essential album that puts you in a poorer position for not hearing it.



Fox In The Snow by Belle and Sebastian

No comments:

Post a Comment