Wednesday 3 June 2009

The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars

The final commute album prior to my holiday, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars. Let me be candid with you here, in my car I sing, in my car I am Paul Potts, I am the greatest singer this country has ever seen, I am Caruso, Meat Loaf and H from Steps all rolled into one. In my car. Alone. When any of these variables change, this is the odd part, but when any of these variables change I am what is known in showbusiness as a shit singer. Whilst in my car, alone I do two very very good impressions of people, I do an uncanny version of the lead singer of The Kings of Leon and David Bowie. Some might say that my David Bowie doesn't sound like David Bowie at all and its just an effeminate Keith Richards, them people don't know shit.
Impressions aside then, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars, I bought this album in the last 2 years as I heard 5 years and liked it, so I got the album. Around the same time I bought a lot of "classic albums" as I felt there were holes in my collection.
The album itself undoubtedly contains some great songs, looking down the tracklisting its apparant that these songs, all of these songs are known to most music fans, but does that really mean that its a great album?
In Hang on to yourself take off the vocal track and its The Ramones, pre-empting their sound by a good five years. The album predates glam rock in the Ziggy Stardust, but goes all cliched on Sufragette City with its wam bam thank you mams.
It is a massively diverse album though, not entirely glam rock, not entirely punk rock, not ballads, not pop. But was it enjoyable?
It was enjoyable, I played it more than twice which is always a good sign, but it wasnt earth shatteringly out of great for me, so it isn't a ten. It maybe should be a nine, but it isn't, a critical 8 out of 10.



5 Years by David Bowie

No comments:

Post a Comment