Tuesday 16 June 2009

Mavis

I'm quite enamoured with Mavis Staples at the moment. A few years ago I was on holiday in the US and walked into a record shop in Philadelphia to the strains of a 1962 Staple Singers album called Hammer & Nails. I wish I'd bought it there and then as I've never seen it again. Over 40 years later (from 1962 that is) Mavis Staples is still releasing albums, and We'll Never Turn Back from 2007 is top draw. It's a concept album by somebody called Mavis, so what are the chances of quality? It's produced by Ry Cooder, with some familiar old favourites (Down in Mississippi, Jesus is on the Mainline, We Shall Not be Moved), and is all about the American civil rights movement. I'd bet this video didn't get too much airplay on daytime TV. Watch it to see what I mean.


No comments:

Post a Comment