Sunday 14 June 2009

Last Splash

A bonus commute disc today, the first after my Hellenic week. I wasn't commuting in the traditional sense of the word though, a trip to Telford, to see the sights. Anyway, the disc was Last Splash by The Breeders, their second album.
I first heard of this album, well a track on this album when I lived in Lincoln and a club was playing Cannonball, I hadnt heard it before and the DJ played the track, I was quite taken back by it, I couldnt believe that someone connected to the Pixies could write something so out and out pop, perhaps its out and out popness was the reason that Albini didnt engineer it, either that or he was busy with Rapeman.
So, Title TK, played just before I went on holiday is my favourite Breeders album, but this album is probably their best. It is chock full of hits, if you can call them hits, Cannonball, Do You Love Me Now, Divine Hammer, and the cover of Ed's Redeeming Qualities' Drivin on 9. The weak tracks do not exist and the strong tracks are difficult to better.
So how do I mark this, currently Title TK is my favourite Breeders album, but I believe that Last Splash is a great album with the best and for my money the definitive Breeders line up. So with all this in mind and the fact that I heard it probably 7 times in a row today and didnt tire of it, 10 out of 10.



Drivin on 9 by The Breeders.

No comments:

Post a Comment