Friday 16 October 2009

Best of the B's

That then is the B’s done, I suspect there will be a rogue one popping up, but on the whole that is it. I am scratching my head as to where The Internationale is, Billy Braggs more overt than normal, overtly political album of political anthems. The home of my favourite Billy Bragg track. It is either misfiled, only on LP or by the stereo.

That is of no consequence, this is about the most killer of the killer B’s, the best albums of the best albums. This is what this is about.
I must admit the B’s took a lot longer than expected, it wasn’t so much of a chore but as I had a lot of albums by a few artists, it did get a little laboured, of all of the B’s only 8 received 10 out of 10. Maybe in hindsight that should have been 6, maybe.

I have to admit that Let It Be is my favourite Beatles album and one of my favourite albums of all time. Its perfect, utterly perfect. But its quite predictable to say it was the best B, but it was in a lot of respects.
The B for me that was the best though was Black Rebel Motorcycle Club’s Howl. A complete surprise musically that was thoroughly enjoyable and was nothing like what I was expecting.

Gone were the NME New Rock Revolution bollocks and they ploughed the furrow they wanted that was away from what was considered circa now. Introduced to me by a friend that has a knack of suggesting something that appeals to me, he doesn’t always get it right, but when he does, I take those things totally to my heart. Gene Clark, The Pernice Brothers and now Black Rebel Motorcycle Club’s Howl.



Howl by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

And so as they draw to a close, the best B, Howl. Perfect.

The worst B? Rather unsurprisingly it was Bjork, and her a capella album, Medulla. The thought of it now sends shivers down my spine. Dreadful, just really really dreadful.

No comments:

Post a Comment