Tuesday 22 September 2009

Soda

Todays commute CD was the debut album by Swedish band, Brainpool entitled Soda.
A pretty good album all told, elements of pop punk and indie rock that was reminiscent of Silver sun or the Senseless Things, very harmonic and classic power pop that is sadly missing from music these days.
Released in 1994 I am unsure as to how I first heard of Brainpool, perhaps it was Steve Lamacq, but who ever it was they were responsible for me buying the debut album and if memory serves, the singles that the album spawned. In 1994 I was smitten with Brainpool.
Looking back it harmless inoffensive power pop, with elements of pop punk with classic song writing all the way through.
The downside is that it is so polished, it is major label and it shows, it is over produced and at times vears towards very early Roxette, and that is a very bad thing. This is the fault entirely of the production.
Production aside, as I said the songs are pretty excellent in a Silver Sun kind of way, they are resolutely upbeat and with its Wannadies overtones you do tend to find yourself thinking, in the main, happy thoughts. That could be due to the Lalalalala’s, Lalalalala’s tend to do that.
I can’t really add more than that, I was wondering when this CD might turn up and I knew I was going to enjoy it. Tomorrow my commute is all the way to London so it may be a 2 or even 3 CD day, for now though, soda, 7 out of 10.



Our Own Revolution by Brainpool

No comments:

Post a Comment