Tuesday 26 May 2009

Pod

The Breeders debut album, Pod was my soundtrack to drive to today. Released in 1990 and produced by Steve Albini this copy is my wifes, as pretty much all of The Breeders stuff we own.
I have to say although I love the Breeders this is my least favourite of their works. Its not a particularly easy listen like its successor, but it is typical of the music my wife likes.
It has a few highs, a cover of Happiness Is a Warm Gun, Fortunately Gone and Iris and live all of the tracks work for me. On this album though it doesn’t really get me tapping my foot from start to finish.
The personnel on this album includes sometime Throwing Muse Tanya Donnelly, Jo Wiggs from The Perfect Disaster and Britt Walford of Slint. Of course Kim Deal is as ever present but no Kelley on this release, and maybe that is what taints my view. The Breeders are the Deal sisters and without one it doesn’t work for me. 6 out of 10.



Fortunately Gone by The Breeders

No comments:

Post a Comment