Thursday 28 May 2009

The Hour of the Bewilderbeast

Badly Drawn Boys debut today, The Hour of The Bewilderbeast. Released in 2000 it won a Mercury Music Prize.
I have to say it was a lovely album this morning, lasting the entire journey and as I wanted to sit and listen to the entirety of the final track, Epitaph, I remained sat in my car for 2 more minutes.
I don’t think it’s a flawless album and there are distractions dotted throughout but it is by far Damon Goughs best work. The singles and there was a lot of singles that appeared on this album, well it certainly seems that way, but the singles are arguably amongst his best releases, Pissing in the wind in particular.
The album itself is pitched partway between melancholia and sentimentality, but mainly melancholia. He appears to have regrets, and if I listened to lyrics properly I could elaborate on that but the subject matter almost entirely throughout is negative, Disallusion, Pissing in the wind, but I don’t think that particular outlook is restricted to Hour of The Beweilderbeast, it’s a reoccurring theme for Badly Drawn Boy.
One day I assume that Damon Gough, like Steve Jones may be considered our greatest contemporary songwriter, till that day Chris Martin flies first class with shopping lists scribbled on the back of his hand. 8 out of 10



Pissing in the wind by Badly Drawn Boy

No comments:

Post a Comment