Sunday 27 December 2009

Zooey Deschanel

The actress Zooey Deschanel has always had a place in my heart for many different reasons. I first saw her in the Will Ferrell film Elf and my immediate thoughts outside of THAT is the next Mrs D, was blimey that girl can sing. In Elf she gives a beautiful rendition of Baby It's Cold Outside.



That was the first time that I came across her as an actress but also realised that she had a beautiful effortless voice.

She also displayed her voice, in a different fashion in the Jim Carrey film, Yes Man. Below is Sweet Ballad by her band in the film, Munchausen By Proxy. Again this demonstrates her voice above everything else. The band backing Zooey are San Franciscan band, Von Iva, an underrated band in their own right.



This Christmas, as I am a sucker for anything Deschanel I watched her 2007 film Bridge to Terabithia, her performance as ever was perfect, but fleetingly in the film was her take on the excellent Someday, the Steve Earle song, alas it is all too fleeting in the film, but so fitting. A real high point of the film.



Finally we come to She and Him, the fully fledged band of Zooey Deschanel and M Ward. They released one of my favourite albums of 2008 in Volume One an album of mainly original songs penned by Deschanel but also augmented by the near perfect covers of You Really Got A Hold On Me and The Beatles' I Should Have Known Better. It really was a musical high point of 2008 and the follow up, Volume Two is due to be released in 2010 and I suspect it will be even better.

Here is the fantastic Sentimental Heart from She and Him's debut.

2 comments:

  1. She and Him / great, lovely, want more.

    Von Iva - nasty synth makes my teeth hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She and Him / great, lovely, want more.

    Von Iva - nasty synth makes my teeth hurt.

    ReplyDelete